In Berlin, one of the ten demonstration sites of eCharge4Drivers, Swobbee facilitates the charging process of light electric vehicles by making it faster and more convenient for the user. With its user-friendly and interoperable battery swapping service, Swobbee allows users to easily and quickly get a fully charged battery when they need it.
The eCharge4Drivers demonstration site in Berlin, led by Swobbee, focuses on battery swapping services for the users of Light Electric Vehicles (LEVs). The objective is to replace a discharged battery with a fully charged battery in a couple of minutes, thus providing users with the flexibility to use the vehicle without range anxiety. With this objective, Swobbee’s Swapping Stations are built on the principle of fast battery changing in less than 60 seconds. The Swapping Stations are the first of their kind in Europe, supporting the multi-modular battery swapping service across the region.
Swobbee focuses on promoting interoperability of batteries. The stations are designed with several compartments that can host different battery technologies, which is the closest and optimum solution for overcoming the challenge regarding different battery specifications in the absence of suitable policy framework for battery standardisation. The Battery Swapping Stations (BSS) allow the batteries to be charged in a safe environment, as they are monitored 24/7 with all necessary data captured in a cloud-based data pool.
A mobile application available on Android and Apple iOS gives information on the nearest charging station, the available batteries and their state of charge, along with an option to reserve the battery for a short period of time. The app also guides the user through the swapping process.
The Battery Swapping Station (BSS) thus enables the user to get a fully loaded battery in less than two minutes. The BSS is based on a Battery as a Service (BaaS) concept, whereby the batteries are owned by Swobbee, ensuring the quality and standard of the system. The main benefit for the user is the constant availability of charged and maintained batteries, which are stored under optimal conditions. Payment is set up via direct debit for a monthly tariff subscription in advance.
These solutions promote micro-mobility through the creation of a robust charging ecosystem for users of Light Electric Vehicles in an efficient way, keeping sustainability at its core. It also reduces the CAPEX as the user does not need to buy the battery as it can be leased to the user. This helps to reduce the cost of ownership of the vehicle. The battery leasing service can also be explored as a new functionality, unlocking new markets and business concepts in the future.
Key features of Swobbee’s Battery Swapping Technology:
- Full battery in less than a minute: fast Battery Swaps powered via plug and go
- Building a network of Swapping Stations instead of warehouses: this facilitates 24/7 availability of services, which are also decentralised and more accessible
- Digital signage: Swapping Stations are equipped with digital displays for activities related to marketing, branding, and conveying important messages
- Cost saving: longer life cycles of the technology solutions which result in reduced OPEX and CAPEX
- Safety: the batteries are continuously monitored and managed with a fire extinguishing system
- Open System: the Swapping Stations are enabled with an open system which helps to integrate batteries from different manufacturers into the swapping system within a short period of time