SMATRICS, a subsidiary of VERBUND from Austria and the German EnBW (Energie Baden-Württemberg), is one of the leading international e-mobility service providers. As a 360° provider, SMATRICS has been offering expertise along the entire e-mobility value chain since 2012: from planning, rollout and operation of charging networks, software solutions, customer hotlines and field services, to tariffing and billing solutions.
In Austria, SMATRICS and EnBW operate the largest nationwide high-speed charging network in their own joint venture: SMATRICS EnBW. Over 45,000 active users charge their vehicles at more than 550 charging points along all main motorways and in urban centres across Austria.
Current problems related to charging in the area
- Current authentication methods still have some inherent weak spots. Hence, to improve user experience and to be ready for new market developments, the Plug & Charge feature must be deployed in the network.
- Network connection for superfast charging stations carries prohibitive connection costs, thus leading to foreseeable shortages of available power to customers.
- Users are currently not able to reserve a charge point in advance.
Short description of the demonstrations
- Implementation of ISO 15118 Plug & Charge feature in SMATRICS backend, which will be a technical demonstration at an ABB charging station
- Standardised communication of charging stations to respective backends
- Online direct payment as a feature to enhance user experience at charging stations
- Short-term reservation feature which can be triggered via a manual command out of CPMS (expert system)
- Implementation of dynamic communication between local micro grids (stationary battery, local power generation) and superfast charging stations to increase maximum power available