About 13,000 EVs have been registered in Italy since 2010. 2018 presented an increase of 89% compared to 2017. In 2017, in Italy there were about 2,750 charging stations, 48% of which are installed in the north. In September 2018, the Milan Municipality has approved the installation of 1,000 CPs within the next two years. Route220 has installed charging stations in Trentino Alto-Adige along the “Scandinavian – Mediterranean” corridor, 20 pubic charging stations in Turin and some more in other cities like Mantova (6 CPs), Province of Mantova (5 CPs), Vercelli (3 CPs), Bolzano, Rome and Padova (10 CPs) along the “Mediterranean” corridor. About 3800 clients current use the Route220 app to charge their vehicles using the infrastructure by Route220 or other CPOs. Furthermore, there are additional 200 clients who are using Route220 infrastructure without the app.
Current problems related to charging in the area
- Few of the charging stations are interoperable.
- Route planner that takes into account CP locations is not available.
- Booking a charging station cannot be provided at the moment because it is difficult to control illegal parking.
Short description of planned demonstrations
- User-friendly charging stations for passenger vehicles and L3e vehicles by ABB
- Implementation of the ISO 15118 Plug & Charge feature in the Route220 back-end
- Enhanced long-range route planner
- Enhanced information provision during charging
- EV Charging Location Planning tool, with emphasis on isolated mountainous areas
- Predictive diagnostics and charging optimization service